Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Big Day

Yesterday (Wednesday, March 4, 2009) had some big news involving a couple prima donnas.

If you've seen any sort of news today, you know that the Dodgers signed Manny Ramirez and the Cowboys finally cut Terrell Owens loose. All within a 24 hour period.

The Manny story broke first thing in the morning (at least here on the West Coast). I was in class at the time, but I was able to see the large flat screen TV in the new Outpost here at CSULB tuned to ESPN with all the Manny clips playing over and over again with Dodger logos scrolling across the bottom. I didn't need to see or hear anything, it was that obvious.

As a casual Dodger fan, I'm happy to see him back. Everyone (especially the Dodgers) know that LA is a better team (and has a better shot at the World Series) with Manny in the lineup. However, I'm a little nervous. Now that he's signed, all the "he quit on Boston" stuff is coming back up. I just hope it doesn't happen again. At least not before the Dodgers get a World Series win. This article is encouraging, but we've been burned as sports fans before.

And as for TO, good riddance. As a former Cowboys fan, I still have a soft spot for the team, and it's exciting to see them do well. Guys like Romo, Witten, Barber and occasionally TO made it that much better. But TO eventually became TO again. From the minute the Cowboys signed him, I knew it wasn't a good move. I was won over a little bit once I saw he seemed committed and relatively tame, but it was a matter of time before his true feelings character came out.

There's all kinds of talk out there about where he'll go next. Someone will inevitably take the bait. Personally, I think he'll end up with the Raiders. He just seems to fit with the attitude of the culture and the team needs a public face to get some attention as well as some skill at WR. And we all know Al Davis isn't afraid to make a splash. But we all know this. It's the idea that he could land somewhere else that gets me thinking. Would anyone else take the risk? I doubt it. He's eventually torn down every team he's been on, and it's no secret that he has a severe case of the dropsies and the I-don't-care-enough-to-make-an-effort-sies. It's different from Manny where he's been a good player on two out of his 3 stops (Cleveland and LA) with a lot of positive years in Boston (again, we'll wait and see what happens after a championship). Randy Moss is a similar case. He had his moments with the Vikings and got frustrated with the Raiders but he was still an amazing talent in his prime (arguably still) who sucked it up when it came time do so. TO's had his chances and blown them all.

On both fronts, I'm just tired of hearing about both... let's get the season under way!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment